Thursday 21 September 2017

New Music Friday review: Niall Horan, Nick Jonas, Post Malone/21 Savage

So this week delivered in some ways...I guess (?), We got new music from Niall Horan and Nick Jonas plus we get double the Post Malone than what is necessary (You'll see what I mean). Keeping the reviews short due to not being well.


Song: Too Much to Ask
Artist: Niall Horan







So the third single from Niall Horan's album "Flicker" due out next month is a heartfelt ballad and its actually what I expected Niall to come out with following the success of "Slow Hands" and plays in the Ed Sheeran playground a bit, you can literally hear the Ed Sheeran in this song.
Yeah, I do like it but I think that he has done much better in terms of this kind of music with "This Town".

Rating: 7/10



Song: Find You
Artist: Nick Jonas



Nick Jonas is back with a new single and quite honestly I like the fragments of acoustic guitar through this song that gets lost in amongst a beat not far removed from EDM or The Chainsmokers at their best. Ugh. Skip it.


Rating: 5/10 but that's more due to the acoustic guitar.


Song: rockstar
Artist(s): Post Malone, 21 Savage



So when I hear people suggest a rap song is pretty good, I get a little wary, largely because it's always a big let down but you know what? I'll give Post Malone and 21 Savage this, for as much as this song doesn't go much past bragging about their sexual prowess and living like Bon Scott and Jim Morrison, it actually kind of fits with the whole premise of living like 'rockstars' so yeah while it's not my thing, I quite honestly wouldn't be bothered if it became a hit.


Rating: 6/10



Best of the week: Check out Craig David's "Heartline". It's a damn good tune and should be a hit.





Worst: "Homemade Dynamite (Remix)" by Lorde, Khalid, SZA and Post Malone. No Lorde, You didn't need to recreate a 2017 version of Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood" when she managed to get Kendrick Lamar on board to overcompensate for it being a late album track back in 2015 This feels clunky at best and overstuffed at worst. This really does feel like a misstep here, you'll find me listening to the original.




New Music Friday 22nd September.
Macklemore feat. Kesha with 'Good ol' Days"
Anne Marie "Heavy" (Yes I got the date wrong on that one last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment