Thursday 13 July 2017

New Music Friday Review: Kesha's return.

It's back after a two week break! There are so many stories to this week's New Music Friday, we could talk about the collaboration between Zedd and Liam Payne, the bizarre cover of Daryl Braithwaite's hit "The Horses", the return of Cut Copy but all of that was cast to one side when Kesha dropped her first song in five years.

So how did things stack up? Let me give you all the downlow beginning with Kesha.

Song: Praying
Artist: Kesha



Kesha's big return after a well publicised 5 years away from the music scene, I won't go into why she was away from the music scene for so long because we know why (Dr Luke...ahem), she is back with the power ballad "Praying" and quite honestly this song seems so apt for a first single given all that Kesha has been through in the last 5 years, we were never going get an upbeat, fun party song as the first up song from Kesha's third album "Rainbow" as to a certain extent I think it would have been inappropriate.

So how does "Praying" turn out?. It is an intense ride which a lot of power ballads are and at times you do feel what Kesha is feeling in her lyrics and in the way she sings but there's hope and inspiration in this song in knowing that the dark days are over and happier times ahead for her and even the person who did the wrong thing by her, this is a a very raw, personal song from Kesha and it was one that was necessary and I am glad she felt she could share it with us. Thank you Kesha.


Rating: 9/10. I loved this and it has inspired me so at least for me, Kesha has achieved what she set out to do.


Song: Get Low
Artist(s): Zedd, Liam Payne



I really do wonder when Liam Payne is actually going to step out and have a complete song to himself instead of featuring a rapper or being another artist's feature act, this time he is the feature for Zedd's latest single "Get Low" another electronic dance song almost in the same vein as "Stay" Zedd's song with Alessia Cara.

So while Liam's single with Quavo "Strip That Down" is one that I have come to like despite my view that the gang vocals on that track were unnecessary. "Get Low" really doesn't do anything for me, I don't know what it is about the song that puts me off it, might have something to do with the instrumentation as the lyrics seem inoffensive enough. Eh, I think this song could have sufficed as a Liam Payne song outright if I am blunt.


Rating: It's not bad but I'm not sure it's good either. 5/10



Song: My Name is Thunder
Artist(s): The Bloody Beetroots, Jet




So hand up everyone who got a little shock when this song appeared on Spotify last Friday? I first saw this song had landed via the Triple J website so yeah I was surprised and the return of Jet is almost a stereo typical return with Nic Cester doing his best to sound like a combination of Bon Scott and Brian Johnson as he screams his way through the song.

Its a pretty intense old rock tune, ehh, worth a listen if you are into wild intense rock music with an EDM feel.


Rating: 6/10. Cester's screaming got on my nerves a little bit


Best of the week:

Kesha's "Praying" obviously!


No worst as there are only three tracks this week


Next New Music Friday
It's a long list!
"Sorry, Not Sorry" by Demi Lovato
"Fetish" by Selena Gomez
"Goodbye" by Echosmith
"Rain"  by The Script
"Lay It On Me" by Vance Joy




No comments:

Post a Comment