Thursday 20 July 2017

New Music Friday Review: Demi returns

We have got one hell of a busy week this week headlined by the returns of Demi Lovato, The Script, and Vance Joy and a new single from Selena Gomez so without delay let's get into this beginning with Vance Joy.



Song: Lay It On Me
Artist: Vance Joy




So Vance Joy is back with his first single since "Fire and the Flood" and its a pretty damn good song. I love how the song builds into the chorus and the lyrics deliver some personality from Vance Joy the song talks about a relationship between two people who have gotten pretty comfortable with each other so much so they are laying it on each other. I really dig this. Give it a listen if you are curious.


Rating: 8/10. I am not fanatical about the drums in this. Feels like there's no steady build or slow down between the verse into the prechorus and then into the chorus which was yeah a little disappointing


Song: Sorry Not Sorry
Artist: Demi Lovato





I cannot be the only person who on first listen thought "Sorry Not Sorry" sounded exactly like a song made for a sophmore album from Meghan Trainor?. Sure it had the quintessential element of a Demi Lovato song that being Lovato belting but this song really did have the unmistakeable vibe of being a Meghan Trainor song in waiting which is odd because Trainor had no part in writing this.
The song is okay if you can get past the Meghan Trainor vibes but if you can't, it's probably better if you steer clear.


Rating: 6/10. I guess I can come back to it occasionally. Demi has done better though.


Song: Fetish
Artist(s): Selena Gomez, Gucci Mane




I've done a 180 on "Bad Liar" since I reviewed a month or so ago, I can't stand it now due to the fact Selena sounds so off key and that chorus has got to be most annoying thing I have ever heard so quite honestly I was looking forward to "Fetish" which was said to have been pretty good at tthe time so what did we get with the newest song off Selena's next album? It's pretty much take 300 of Selena Gomez trying desperately to be sexy and not quite pulling it off. Honestly, there's just nothing about this "I'm trying so very hard to be sexy" song and lyrically it doesn't make sense in that apparently this guy has a fetish for Selena's love but I thought fetishes were supposed to be for some part of the body and not for love? Eh, whatever the case this song is really isn't anything that the hype suggested it would be.


Rating: 4/10



Song: Rain
Artist; The Script




The Script are back with the lead off single from their forthcoming new album and I have to say I am hearing a serious shift in the same direction as Lukas Graham and I am really not sure it works here for them. It's still a listenable enough song but maybe it's one for just out and out fans of The Script. Not sure I really connected with what they are trying to convey.


Rating: 5/10


Other songs to note:
"Summer Bummer" by Lana Del Rey feat. A$AP Rocky (Well at least this is somewhat less boring than some of Lana's previous work. I am not a massive Lana fan. This is an interesting song. 7/10)

"Don't Tell Me" by Ruel (A 14 year old kid writing songs like this. I am really impressed. Check this song out if you haven't already. 8/10)

"Goodbye" by Echosmith (Ehh. It's not bad per se but really the only really good thing about it is that solid guitar riff to open the song. Disappointing we don't hear it again for the rest of the track. 4/10)

"Kingdom" by Dan Sultan (Another cracking song from upcoming new album "Killer". Out next week, everyone!. This song is just superb. 9/10)


Best song: "Lay It on Me" by Vance Joy. Just something that keeps me going back for more. Check it out if you are curious.


Worst: Nothing outrageously awful this week but I am giving it to "Fetish" by Selena Gomez and Gucci Mane for the overtly try hard to be sexy feel of the song, it's obvious in the accompanying video clip which really is uncomfortable to watch.


Next New Music Friday.

"Back to you" by Louis Tomlinson feat. Bebe Rexha and Digital Farm Animals is set to be released tomorrow. Beyond that, I am not sure what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment