Tuesday 25 April 2017

New Music Friday Review: Shawn Mendes, Lana Del Ray and The Weeknd

This week is interesting given that we are into the 2nd weekend of Coachella and there has been plenty of new music released, heck, Lady Gaga dropped a new song right smack bang during the middle of her set at the festival (You can watch it on Youtube). We've got plenty to look at so let's get this review underway beginning with Amy Shark.


Song: Blood Brothers
Artist: Amy Shark

Blood Brothers is a song from Amy Shark's EP entitled "Night Thinker" and I have to say Amy is yet to disappoint me because Blood Brothers is another excellent track from according to reviewers is an excellent EP. Kind of hoping this does get released as a single because it is a damn good song.

Rating: 8.5/10


Song: Attention
Artist: Charlie Puth

So this song is the first single for Puth's follow up album to the widely condemned Nine Track Mind and while its better than anything that was on Nine Track Mind but man are the verses on this track annoying beyond belief even if the prechorus and the chorus are pretty darn cool. I find the repetition of words in the verses extremely grating and annoying.

Rating: 5/10 (Gets a pass because the pre chorus and chorus is damn catchy)

Song: There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back\
Artist: Shawn Mendes
\
Well I actually thought this was a new song from a new project from Shawn Mendes because this is actually an alright song but no its the first song from his most recent album Illuminate. Sigh. It least this track breaks away from the whining that I find completely insufferable on songs like Stitches and Treat You Better which begs the question why not release this instead of Treat You better which made him sound like an obnoxious little prick.

Rating: 5/10

Song: Murder to the Mind
Artist: Tash Sultana

Tash Sultana is quickly becoming one of my favourite Australian female artists. I just love this woman's voice even if I am not sold on this song at all, Tash's voice is amazing but some of the songs do start becoming annoying. Think I still prefer Jungle over this. Just saying

Rating: 7/10 (That guitar solo is amazing)


Song: Lust for Life
Artist: Lana Del Ray featuring The Weeknd

Now I am not the world's biggest fan of Lana Del Ray, her songs really have this habit of sounding the same to me and yet again unfortunately this song even with The Weeknd's involvement does nothing for me. A chorus that consists mostly of "take off all your clothes"? Really? Have a little more imagination than that but the instrumentation is really dramatic and gripping.

Rating: 5/10


Song: Hard Times
Song: Paramore

Paramore jump from emo to almost a mix of pop and near on tropical 80s sounds. I think a few hardened Paramore fans would be disappointed in this song. I don't mind the very 80s sound to this sound but my problem Hayley Williams vocal, she sounds so pitchy in parts of this song almost like it was recorded in separate studios. I think I'll go back to Paramore's best song "Ain't it Fun" and stay there if I am blunt

Rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment