Saturday 8 April 2017

New Music Friday: The Chainsmokers, Halsey and...Harry Styles.

So instead of using my top 10 posts to discuss songs that have entered the chart, I am going to review them after they have been officially released and before they have entered the chart. This week I'll look at the new music from The Chainsmokers, Halsey and of course Harry Styles. Please bear in mind I'll only be looking at music most likely to chart in the coming weeks so if there son

Song: Honest
Artist: The Chainsmokers

Oddly enough I like this in some senses which is weird for me to say because I find The Chainsmokers to be quite obnoxious but "Honest" does work and finally they've found music that does match the limited vocal range. The song basically tells the story of a guy who has admitted to his girlfriend that she isn't the only woman on his mind and is still experiencing feelings for this other woman.

Can't deny that on some level it does work for me.

Rating: 6/10


Song: Now or Never
Artist: Halsey

Wish I could say the same about this song. I really do but quite honestly it just sucks. Halsey vocally just doesn't do it for me. The repeated now now nows and down down downs are ridiculous. What's with the breathing into the microphone, sounds like she has been out on a run just before she recorded the song. This song is just no no no no for me.

Rating: 4/10 because the intro was pretty damn good.


Song: Sign of the Times
Artist: Harry Styles

It won't matter what I say about this song because it will be a hit (It is number one in 80 countries on iTunes already) knowing what One Direction fans are like. One Direction or the boys as individuals could release some awful songs and they'd still be massive on the charts so I do wonder what the point of reviewing "Sign of the Times" is if I am to be brutally honest especially given it is thought that Harry is going to be the break out star following the hiatus of One Direction.

So what do we get from Harry with "Sign of the Times"? It's a massive leap away from One Direction's formulaic and at times somewhat personality less pop (driven largely by their record company) into a more rock driven sound and at times this song does have a tendency to hold Harry's Beatles influence a bit high to the surface which isn't a bad thing, the song writing is dubious at best, horrible at worst, the production works but Harry's falsetto on the prechorus is literally one of the worst sounds I have heard this year, quite simply Harry's voice doesn't reach the sound required for falsetto to work. Leave that to Barry Gibb, Harry!

Rating: 5/10 (Its not bad but it's not blown me away nor am I overly impressed by it)

No comments:

Post a Comment