No preamble this week, let's just get straight into it with our top ten where for yet another week, it's Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss" at number one, it's ruling sales right now to the point that I don't see what is going to challenge it.
Sure Five rise to number two with "If Ya Gettin' Down" but it's thankfully not bridging any margins right now, really could argue it moved up one because "Boom Boom Boom Boom" by The Vengaboys which slipped one to number three.
"When You Say Nothing At All" by Ronan Keating remained at number four likewise for Jennifer Lopez's "If You Had My Love" which remains at number five.
"Sweet Like Chocolate" by Shanks & Bigfoot rose one spot to number six as it continues to get traction. Smash Mouth's "All Star" jumped three spots to number seven while "Silence" by Delerium feat. Sarah McLachlan remains rooted to the number eight slot.
"Sometimes" by Britney Spears slipped three places to number nine while rising into the top ten is "Wild Wild West" by Will Smith up one to number ten.
Losers
Not much in the way of major losers this week although we did see "Don't Cry" by Human Nature slip from twenty eight and "Say It Once" by Ultra dropping from nineteen to twenty five.
Finally "Man! I Feel Like A Woman!" by Shania Twain was the biggest loser of the week down nine spots to wenty three.
Gains
Also not much to report with out gains. Ann Lee's "2 Times" continues to see traction this week, it's up eleven to twenty three.
New Entries
Three new entries this week beginning with...
38. "Smooth" by Santana feat. Rob Thomas
So we're beginning this week with a song that I am certain is probably already showing signs of dominating the US charts. Santana, a rock legend of the 70s and 80s working with the lead singer of Matchbox Twenty, Rob Thomas and I guess if you picture a cross section where these two could possibly meet, it's "Smooth" with Santana providing this searing Latin guitar groove and Rob Thomas sliding in with the vocals that definitely are filtered on the verses however when the filter disappear on the hook and what a hook it is, Thomas is singing with a conviction that I haven't heard since Matchbox Twenty's first album. This song is going to be huge in the US and should be msssive in Australia too. Check this out.
31. "The Day The World Went Away" by Nine Inch Nails
So my experience with NIne Inch Nails is rather limited, they are a band I really haven't seeked out to llisten to unless they have appeared in the new entries for one of these blog entries but anyway we have this song which comes from Nine Inch Nails album "The Fragile" and well I like the sentiment of the song and not much else here, it's about the loss of a loved one that leaves a person so shattered and empty the world feels like it's gone away from them the loss being that hard to cope with.
However I really cannot get behind the production here, it just feels like a wall of noise with Trent Reznor's voice barely heard in the middle of the mix, it's a hard listen. I think I am going to skip this one.
16. "Animal" by Jebediah
I am floored this song debuted as high as it has, definitely something I wouldn't have expected when I first looked at the chart for this week but anyway Jebediah are a alternative roclk band hailing from Perth, Western Australia. This song coming from their second album titled "Of Someday Shambles" and well...this is fine, it's better than the Nine Inch Nails track before it because yeah there's good melody here even if some the instrumentation sounds oddly electronic and I am not overly wild about the vocals either, they can feel a bit to sharp and nasal for me. I don't think the song is bad...far from it, it's just not for me.
That wraps this week and the best and the worst falls out easily. Worst of the week goes to "The Day the World Went Away" by Nine Inch Nails. Best of the week went to "Smooth" by Santana feat. Rob Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment