Sunday 12 December 2021

ARIA Singles Top Top 50 Top Ten: 13th December. I Am Woman and Hate U so Merry Christmas

 So the influx of Christmas music continued this week but I will say it was unxpectedly interesting especially in the top ten as the bunfight for the final places on the year end continues so let's get to that top ten where "Cold Heart (PNAU Remix)" by Elton John and Dua Lipa returned to number one thanks to consistency on both sales and streaming. 

It pushed past "Easy on Me" by Adele which slipped back to number two as the hype from the album fades. 

Holding steady are both "Stay" by The Kid Laroi featuring Justin Bieber and 'abcdefu" by Gayle at number four.

Stubbornly refusing to go away is "Heat Waves' by Glass Animals which climbed three places back to number five for some reason.

"Bad Habits" holds firm at number six for Ed Sheeran while "Shivers" tumbled back two places to number seven for Ed Sheeran,

Then we come to the first of the Christmas music breaking into the top ten thanks to "All I Want for Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey rising ten places to number eight and effectively leading the charge of the Christmas music this week. 

"All Too Well (Taylor's Version" by Taylor Swift slipped two places to number nine while "Industry Baby" by Lil Nas X feat, Jack Harlow stumbled one place to number ten.


Gains

Let's blow through the Christmas music gains this week, already mentioned the ten place gain to eight for "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey. "It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas" by Michael Buble jumped seven places to 14 while "Last Christmas" by Wham climbed a massive 23 places to 18. 

:As for the non Christmas gains, well, "Without You" by The Kid Laroi feat. Miley Cyrus rebounded 11 places to 33, "Levitating" by Dua Lipa jumped eight to return to the top twenty at 16 and "Kiss Me More" by Doja Cat and SZA jumped seven to 15. 


Re entries

Kind of eye rolling at some of these re entries but I think I can pin the blame on streaming services releasing year end stats and people streaming songs that wound up on their personal playlists for these like "Astronaut in the Ocean" by Masked Wolf at 50 and "The Business" by Tiesto at 48. Olivia Rodrigo's "Drivers License" at 37

Christmas re entries

"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee is back at 49 and "Santa Tell Me" by Ariana Grande (this song being a Christmas staple cracks me up so hard) at 31. 

Losers

We got a surprising lot of them this week especially in the double digits so w'll focus on those losses this week with "Oh My God" by Adele tumbling eleven places to 21. 

"Better Days" by NEIKED feat. Mae Muller and Polo G slipping ten to 29 (Goodness the hype for this song died quickly)/ 

Unfortunately "Smokin' Out the Window" got stubbed out eighteen places to 32 while "love nwantiti" by Ckay slumped twelve places to 38. "My Universe" by Coldplay feat. BTS slid twelve to 39 and "Overpass Graffiti" by Ed Sheeran got cleaned up seventeen places to 40. 

"Moth to a Flame" by Swedish House Mafia and The Weeknd is on the verge of having it's flame extinguished as it slipped another twelve places to 41. 

"Acapulco" by Jason Derulo slithered down eleven to 44 and "Dreams" by Jolyon Petch tumbled thirteen to 47.


Drop Outs

Not really complaining when "Fancy Like" by Walker Hayes, "A Ok" by Tai Verdes and "Out Out" by Joel Corry, Jax Jones and Charli XCX feat Saweetie took their exits taking with them "Mr Brightside" by The Killers and "2055" by Sleepy Hallow.

The only one I'm vaguely disappointed about is "Flowers (Say My Name)" by ArrDee, I did like that one.

The rest of the drop outs are Adele album cuts like "I Drink Wine", "Can I Get It" and "My Little Love".


New Entries

Four new entries this week beginning with 


43. "I Am Woman" by Emmy Meli

Another newcomer to the ARIA singles chart, this time from Californinan Emmy Meli with this song getting attention via TikTok before becoming a thing on streaming...you know the story and well...I am not sure how to feel about this because lyrically the song is a bunch of statements about how she is all these things and there's no denying the passion in the vocals but I am not sure the music backs her up at all here, it doesn't sound as strong or as anthemic as the song is trying to be lyrically, Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman" this isn't. I don't hate this but I am not going to remember it either.


27. "Merry Christmas" by Ed Sheeran and Elton John

So really I tend to avoid talking a lot about Christmas songs mostly because they have a prety standard formula but we did get this new song from Ed Sheeran and Elton John and well, it's kind of cute? Sure the song does remind me of "Do They Know It's Christmas" musically but lyrically the song Sheeran and John encouraging people to forget their troubles of the past year for awhile to join in some festive fun but not forgetting those who died this past year too. Yeah, the song is corny but Ed and Elton play into it well. I kind of dig it, check it out if you are curious


26. "Where Are You Now" by Lost Frequencies and Calum Scott

Oh it's about time this song charted word of warning, I am not a fan of Calum Scott, his cover of "Dancing On My Own' by Robyn is one of the worst covers of the 2010s so I was a little worried when this song first appeared on the Australian Spotify top 50 and yeah I'm not feeling this song and I'm not sure why...it sounds appealing enough for a summer song and I do think radio will love but again Calum Scott's vocals do nothing for me here, he sounds lie he has a mouthful of marbles for a lot of the song which is just plain weird when the song is trying to be nostalgic so yeah I am not a fan of this at all. 


19. "I Hate U" by SZA.

It always surprises me when SZA debuts this high on the chart however it's nice to finally get an official new single from her with this song being one that fans demanded she release and well...she delivered even if this song isn't quite as good as "Good Days" but it's still a solid R'n'B track with SZA feeling sexually frustrated and wanting this guy to fuck her already and she definitely sells the frustration in her vocals even if I am not sold on the blocky production. This is pretty good.

However it's not getting best of the week because that's going to "Merry Christmas" by Ed Sheeran and Elton John,...I can't help it...it's cute. Worst of the week is going to "Where Are You Now' by Lost Frequencies feat. Calum Scott, it's not overly terrible but it's the song here that I liked least.

Chart will update on Friday at 5pm AEDST

No comments:

Post a Comment