Monday 25 January 2021

New Music Friday Review: 22nd January. New Love Lifestyle and Letting Go of Confession Box

 "Typhoons"  by Royal Blood

Royal Blood are amongst a couple within the indie rock genre in Britain that I like to keep an eye on and with this song being the title track for the new album due out in April  and "Trouble's Coming" growing on me a fair bit since it's release so how is "Typhoons"?

Well "Typhoons" has some serious swagger about it however the bright skuzzy guitars and almost disco rock feel of the song hide some pretty dark lyrics centring around mental health and substance abuse eg: alcohol during the ongoing pandemic and yeah the production makes this song feel like it'd be a load of fun to dance to at a festival...absolute banger!

Rating: 8/10

Speaking of British indie rock...

"Confession Box" by The Pale White

The Pale White are a band hailing out of north east of England, I've been aware of these guys since they released "Reaction" in 2017, they've been releasing singles and EPs for awhile now with "Confession Box" being their first single of 2021 so how is "Confession Box"?

Well it's a return to a heavier sound for the Pale White after the more melodic "Take Your Time", with "Confession Box' exploring post break up emotions and I definitely like this sound from The Pale White a lot with it's searing guitars and lyrics that are pretty darn catchy. Looking forward to that debut album in 2021 if we get it1


Rating: 8/10


Time to go with pop country thanks to a collaboration I wasn't expecting...

"I Can't" by Caitlyn Smith feat. Old Dominion

So Caitlyn Smith has teamed up with one of the country bands that I really don't care for to see if she can finally get a break onto the charts in the US with this ballad from the deluxe edition of "Supernova" although lets be real songs from "Starfire" and "Supernova" should have crossed over already however is "I Can't" any good?

Well yeah, it's a strong song and Caitlyn Smith really shines through in the vocals although Old Dominion's Matthew Ramsey is also pretty solid here too! Prominent piano and guitar here too...it's solid and both Caitlyn and Old Dominion sell the song well so you know what? Check it out!

Rating: 7/10


Okay, so I think this along with one other song may chart (I am trying to keep New Music Friday Review for songs that don't hit the ARIA singles top 50) but I going to cover this one only briefly...

"Lifestyle" by Jason DeRulo feat. Adam Levine

I think I groaned when I saw that these two had collaborated but then I remembered that two acts I disliked got together and made a song that made my best list last year so Jason DeRulo and Maroon 5's Adam Levine could potentially have made something good, right?

Well here's the thing...this song really isn't that bad, it's ridiculously catchy and even if Jason DeRulo still thinks singing his name at the start of a song is still very annoying to me but both DeRulo and Levine sound fine enough here and it sounds like both are having fun as they sing about this woman having this lifestyle of diamonds (the reference to Rihanna's song called "Diamonds" by DeRulo was hilarious). Honestly the song is a bit stupid and will get annoying pretty quickly if it gets overplayed, that said I don't mind it right now...ask me in a couple of months time and my response might be different.

Rating: 6/10


Now time for Australia's favourite musical anti vaxxer!

"letting go" by Ziggy Alberts

I've never really been impressed by Ziggy Alberts music regardless of his views away from the music but I wanted to give him another chance...and well...I kind of regret doing so because this song is really not anything at all special, it falls closer to bad Jack Johnson impersonation than anything else and again that's the feeling I've had about this guy's music for most of his career, he has one or two songs that are decent but for the most part they are like this. Pass.

Rating: 3/10


This is another one that I think might chart eventually but its a song that I wanted to cover none the less


"New Love" by Silk City feat. Ellie Goulding

So Mark Ronson and Diplo have worked together again this time swapping out Dua Lipa with Ellie Goulding for this slice of dance and EDM pop. Look, it's fine, the production works well but that chorus is just repetitive to the point of being extremely annoying despite Ellie Goulding selling it well enough. It's an ehhh for me.

Rating: 6/10


Let's wrap this up with a relatively new Aussie rock act.


"Something About Being Sixteen" by Teenage Joans

So for he uninitiated the Teenage Joans are an act hailing from Adelaide that was discovered by radio station Triple J through Unearthed which seeks to find exciting new young Australian talent with Teenage Joans song "Three Leaf Clover" winning the "Unearthed High" competition and just recently landing at 87 on Triple J's Hottest 100 countdown for 2020 and on Friday, they released new single "Something About Being Sixteen" so what did we get?

When I heard "Three Leaf Clover" I was actually impressed, I liked what I was hearing and with this new song...yeah...its pretty good, I love how prominent the drums and guitars are. The lyrics are pretty angsty about getting over a break up and moving on. I like this....check it out if you are curious.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment