Wednesday 20 January 2021

New Music Friday Review: 15th January Bonafide Don't Play De Una Vez

"De Una Vez" by Selena Gomez
("At Once")

Selena Gomez is changing tack musically, she's going to be releasing a Spanish language album this year with a song called "De Una Vez" being the first song from that upcoming project. Translated "De Una Vez" means "At Once" and judging by the translation of the song, it's the next chapter following "Lose You to Love Me" where she's healed from her broken heart after a failed relationship and is ready to move on and is ready to prove she is stronger and happier without the guy (whoever it is aimed at) and yeah I totally get it even if I am a little tired of Selena writing songs allegedly aimed at Justin Bieber...it is time to let go.

 I like the production from Tainy on this song, it feels more organic and definitely suits Selena a lot better than some of the production she was given on that last English language album of hers. I like this a lot...check it out.

Rating: 8/10

"Don't Play" by Anne-Marie, KSI and Digital Farm Animals

Ugh...I wasn't looking forward to this one, KSI is a rapper who is bigger in the UK, he teamed up with singer Anne-Marie, who hasn't seen any chart success in Australia since "2002" in 2018, they brought along Digital Farm Animals along for this song so how is the song?

It's forgettable if I am to be honest, its a song about heartache that's delivered with all the passion of somebody who has had to be told what heartache feels like, it just feels wooden and insincere. The production from Digital Farm Animals is only passable at best...I'm not coming back to this. Pass.

Rating: 3/10


"How Can I Resist Her?" by Robinson

Ooh how do I explain this one? This song is from an upcoming album where artists hailing from Australia and NZ are recording reimagined covers of songs from Split Enz 1980 number one album in Australia and New Zealand called "True Colours" and spawned the Australian year end number one hit "I Got You" plus hits like "I Hope I Never" and "Shark Attack" with Robinson's cover of the Tim Finn penned "How Can I Resist Her" being the third song to be released from the project following Shihad's pretty solid cover of "I Got You" and Busby Marou's cover of the Neil Finn penned "Missing Person".

I am a Split Enz fan so I was kind of curious to hear this song and my god...it was instant love, folks, this cover is beautiful, Robinson has kept the lyrics as they are rather than changing them which gives the song a same sex romance framing and honestly it works as Robinson turns the song into this gorgeous indie folk nearly country song and her vocals are stunning, check out this song and the more raucous Split Enz original (actually check out the whole original "True Colours" album). Great job Robinson! 

Rating: 9/10


"Bonafide" by Emotional Oranges feat. Chiiild

This is going to sound weird considering I loved the lightweight version of Emotional Oranges in 2019 that being "Dancing With a Stranger" by Sam Smirh and Normani but I just couldn't find an inroad to getting into Emotional Oranges even as I watched other people digging their music and telling me how incredible it was yet every time I tried to get into this group, it just wasn't connecting for me despite the music being as stunning as everyone said it was. 

So here's "Bonafide" this time bringing on board Canadian experimental soul band Chiiild and well? Yeah...this works for me! It's got a solid groove and the vocals are silky smooth and give the song a vibe that I can get into. Nice!

Rating: 8/10


"Did Ya Think" by The Veronicas

Bet this is an act you guys haven't thought about for awhile and no this is not a song from their supposed album that is said to be coming this year, it's an off cut from their debut album "The Secret Life Of" and honestly this is the Veronicas sound I love...its sharp pop/rock which is what Jess and Lisa Origlasso are damn good at and was a shame to see them move away from especially as "4Ever" is still a damn great song. I don't think this will be a hit but check it out.

Rating: 8/10



"Close To You" by Dayglow

To wrap up this week's New Music Friday Review, we have Sloan Struble aka Dayglow and his new single which honestly sounds similar in sound to The 1975 except done better than the actual The 1975...how many times has everyone said that this past year?. Its a solid song that's got an 80s style sound to it again like The 1975 with lyrics all about the mix of excitement and nervousness felt before meeting a date. It's a pretty solid song...I dig it.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment