Thursday 17 August 2017

New Music Friday Review: Return of Pink, Fifth Harmony's 2nd single is....good?

So this week's New Music Friday sees the return of Pink, Fifth Harmony release a new single and I review a song that is worthy of being a hit but won't be.


Song: What About Us?
Artist: Pink




When I heard that this song was going to be in a political vein aimed at a certain world leader (we all know who) I cringed. It's a rare political song actually makes its message concisely and clearly especially within the confines of a pop song so did Pink managed to achieve said rarity with the first single from her forthcoming new album "Beautiful Trauma"?

I wish I could say yes but really I am confused about what the song is trying to say to this person in regard to love and trust, it all feels very vague and not really the sharp, razor edge Pink that we've come to expect especially given this is the same Alecia Moore who wrote a song like "Dear Mr President"

This song really just feels a bit bland to me which is disappointing because I do love Pink.

Rating: 5/10



Song: Angel
Artist: 5th Harmony




It's no secret that I don't really have a huge love of Fifth Harmony's music, I wasn't a fan of the first single "Down", from their soon to be released second album, which was a rehash of the awful "Work From Home" so I really wasn't looking forward to hearing a new single from Fifth Harmony.

However it turns out that "Angel" pretty damn good even despite a pretty terrible effect over the chorus in between "Who said I was angel?" but Normani who is the best singer is given more of the load in this song and the song is much better for it. More Normani, less Lauren and Ally on Fifth Harmony songs please!

Rating: 7/10


Song: Alone
Artist: Cyrus



A brand new single from 2015 X Factor Australia winner Cyrus and I have to say I like this turn to a more stripped back R & B sound which does feel like a good fit for Cyrus voice but the biggest issue with this song is the fact it really doesn't go anywhere or do anything to take advantage of the big booming voice that Cyrus has so that's a bit disappointing.

Rating: 4/10


Song: More Than One of you
Artist: Neil Finn



Okay, I know what you are thinking, this song has no chance of making the ARIA singles top 50 chart this week so why I am even bothering to write about it. The reason I am bothering is because it is a terrific song that deserves to be a hit but it won't be for fairly obvious reasons.

The first single from Finn's new soon to be released album "Out of Silence" entitled "More Than One of You" is a delicious piano ballad along with harmonies that just sooth the soul, the song is stunning and if there were any justice in this god forsaken country, it would be a hit.

Rating: 9/10


Best of the week: No surprise "More than one of you" by Neil Finn. With a nod to "Angel" by Fifth Harmony in regard to songs more likely to hit the ARIA chart.


Worst of the week: I am tempted to give it to Pink for "What About Us?" largely because it's kind of disappointing and not at all what I expect from her.


New Music Friday on 18th August

- Despite cancelling his tour, Justin Bieber is back with a new single called "Can We be Friends?" with Blood pop

-"Younger Now"  by Miley Cyrus

- Little Mix get on the Spanish/Latin boom with a remix of Latin American band CNCO's single "Reggaeton Lento" (Heard a preview of it. It's pretty decent)


No comments:

Post a Comment