Monday 6 July 2020

Rating the Number One songs on the week of my birthday part 2: 2000 to 2020

If you missed part 1, click here to read part 1 which was 1987 to 1999.

Here's part two starting with a rock banger from 2000

2000: “Mascara” by Killing Heidi

I still like this song a lot, Ella Hooper is an amazing rock vocalist. Killing Heidi were definitely on a winner with this song and the chorus is quite hard to get out of your head once you hear it. 8/10


2001: “Can’t Fight the Moonlight” by LeAnn Rimes

I will guarantee most people forget that this song was a number one hit for LeAnn Rimes, the song coming from the soundtrack for the movie “Coyote Ugly” but it signified a move toward a pop direction for Rimes which didn’t suit her at all and yeah, the production here isn’t great. 6/10


2002: “Whenever, Wherever” by Shakira

“Lucky that my breasts are small and humble so you don’t confuse them with mountains” should have been a meme already and really showcased the incredible charisma of Shakira. Pity, she hasn’t had more hits in the 2010s in Australia, could have done with her on the charts here. 8/10


2003: “Lose Yourself” by Eminem

Look, this song from “8 Mile” Is a classic and if I said anything negative about it, I’d be hung, drawn and quartered. I miss this Eminem right now. Enough said. 9/10


2004: “What About Me” by Shannon Noll

Another cover, this time Shannon Noll’s debut hit is a cover of Moving Pictures 1982 hit “What About Me?” and while I think “Learn to Fly” and even “Drive”, the latter of which has meme possibilities, are better of the singles from “That’s What I’m Talking About”, his cover does the original justice which is all you can ask for, right? 7/10


2005: “Over and Over” by Nelly feat. Tim McGraw.

I don’t really feel much of anything toward this song tbh, it’s a pleasant R’n’b crossed with country song, it just feels meh to me. 5/10


2006: “Run It!” by Chris Brown feat. Juelz Santana

This was annoying in 2006 when it was a hit and Chris Brown’s star was on the rise and the production does not help. Fuck this. 3/10


2007: “Lips of an Angel” by Hinder.

Why the hell was this garbage a hit? Were we really that desperate for Nickelback knock offs that we had to send this piece of shit to number one? The vocals suck and the lyrics are  just whining that this girl’s ability to give great blow jobs is making is difficult to be faithful to his girlfriend who is in the next room with nothing to sell any kind of danger at all. Fuck this trash off! Worst number one of the 2000s! 1/10


2008: Bleeding Love” by Leona Lewis

Oh a pleasant change, Leona Lewis’s “Bleeding Love”, a song that I loved back in 2008 but yeah I can’t lie…it hasn’t aged all that well in terms of the production. 7/10


2009: “You Found Me” by The Fray

I have never liked The Fray and this song is just cut price Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I just don’t like the vocals on this song at all. 4/10


2010: “Replay” by Iyaz

I guess the record industry were really desperate to keep the cocaine pile going after they all blackballed Chris Brown, that said, this song sounds more like an Akon rip off and not a pleasant one at that. Annoying to say the least 3/10


2011: “S&M” by Rihanna

A song that makes bondage sound less sexy than catching gonorrhoea. Yuck 3/10


2012: “Wild Ones” by Flo Rida feat. Sia

Well at least this has a decent hook but otherwise pass. 5/10


2013: “Same Old Love” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Mary Lambert

I miss this Macklemore and this song sends an incredibly important message…Love is love. 8/10


2014: “Say Something” by A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera

I respect this song more than I like it tbh, it does paint the picture of a painful break up well but I am not sure that without Christina Aguilera the song would hold up as well. 6/10


2015: “FourFIve Seconds” by Rihanna, Kanye West and Sir Paul McCartney

This is much better. I really like this song, Rihanna’s hook reminding me a lot of the Golden Girls theme and Kanye is good. I just wish they had given Sir Paul McCartney more to do on the song other than play the guitar. 7/10


2016: “Never Be Like You” by Flume feat. Kai

I honestly wish I liked this more than I do. It’s fine enough. Bit strange that Flume isn’t having consistent success though 6/10


2017: “Shape Of You” by Ed Sheeran

Yes, this song was overplayed on the radio, but you know what? I do like it. Ed Sheeran’s best songs know their way around a hook and it’s not designed to be a romantic song, this relationship for both Ed and the girl is disposable, it’s just for the hook up. Its sleazy and for me it works. 8/10


2018: “God’s Plan” by Drake

Oh come on Australia, you know you don’t have to send every piece of background noise filler Drake releases to number one right. BORING! 4/10


2019: “7 Rings” by Ariana Grande

I have already expressed my feelings about this song enough. It’s one of Ariana Grande’s worst songs of her career. 3/10


2020: “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd

I am going to save my comments about this song for year end. All you need to know that you need to hear this. 9.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment