Thursday 1 November 2018

New Music Friday Review: 19th October. Zara Larsson, Major Lazer working with Tove Lo

Song: Ruin My Life
Artist: Zara Larsson





We start of this week's new music review with the lead off single for Zara Larsson's second album, a song I was kind of excited about however I can't be the only one feeling let down a little, right? For a start, Zara sounds totally devoid of any personality that made her a joy to listen to on previous hits and the chorus is just really painfully reptetive asking him to ruin her life and nights because she misses him. It's just a painfully mediocre song.



Rating 5/10


Song: when the party's over
Artist: Billie Eilish





This is the second single from Billie Eilish's debut album s and it is a dark one at that which features Eilish, backing vocals and sparse piano and strings as Eilish sings about her anger at this person in life and needing space from said person where she just wishes they would leave her the hell alone. Its a good song but its definitely not as good as "Bellyache" or "you should see me in a crown".

Rating 7/10



Song: Sunflower
Artists: Post Malone feat. Swae-Lee




This song is for the new Spiderman movie and while I don't mind the production, the grooves in this song are pretty awesome however the content of this song really does render this song kind of mediocre if I am to be honest and probably forgotten within weeks but given the streaming figures for this song, I'd not be surprised if it becomes a hit

Rating: 4/10


Song: Blow That Smoke
Artist: Major Lazer, Tove Lo




So I am not a fan of either artist. Major Lazer's "Lean On" was one of the more annoying hits of recent times while I've never cared for Tove Lo so much like in the recent past with Calvin Harris working with Frank Ocean and Migos on "Slide" last year, could "Blow that Smoke" by Major Lazer feat. Tove Lo work for me? Well honestly I think it does in that it feels like the perfect song to jump around to by the pool, its not bad. Hopefully becomes a hit.

Rating: 8/10


So yeah "Blow That Smoke" is the best song of New Music Friday would love to see this become a hit.



No comments:

Post a Comment