Thursday 18 October 2018

New Music Friday Review for 12th October: Little Mix and Nicki Minaj team up, Meg Mac returns as female empowerment is the word

Song: Woman Like Me
Arists: Little Mix, Nicki Minaj



So here we have the lead single from Little Mix's upcoming fifth album titled "LM5" and am I the only one who is more than a little underwhelmed by this song? It's got these annoying whooping noises however the chorus is catchy and does a lot of the heavy lifting but than we get to a pretty lazy Nicki Minaj verse where she is just flexing, it sounds like a verse she'd drop on any song she's collaborated on, it seems really tacked on and kind of unnecessary.

Rating: 6/10


Song: I'm Still Here
Artist: Sia


Sia's new single "I'm Still Here" is aimed at being a big summer anthem quite clearly even though I am not convinced some of the production choices are quite right even though it does make for quite haunting ballad and Sia is conserving a lot of her vocal power and it works well as she sings about overcoming hurdles and keeping on moving forward despite setbacks. Its actually not all that bad a song.

Rating: 7/10


Song: MIA
Artists: Bad Bunny, Drake





 So I groaned when I learnt Drake who is rapidly joining the ranks of over exposed celebrities in 2018 and given Bad Bunny hasn't impressed me in the past, I wasn't looking forward to this song but much to my surprise, this actually really isn't bad especially given it actually turns out to be a love song and Drake and Bad Bunny want their girls to tell everyone that they are with them and in love. The instrumentation is stereotypically Spanish but for a song feat. Drake, it's not a bad reggaeton song...it's at very least tolerable.

Rating: 7/10


Song: Light On
Artist: Maggie Rogers





 If there was a song that I want to be a hit, it is this one. "Light On" centres around Rogers own self doubt and is coming to grips with the world and herself as she acknowledges her friends and family. It's all set to a pretty damn great electronic pop beat. Love it, love it. Bring on that debut album in January 2019.

Rating: 9/10


Song: Give Me My Name Back
Artist: Meg Mac



I mentioned the return of Little Mix earlier and the powerful "Give Me My Name Back" is a some way to announce the return of one of the break out female singer songwriters Meg Mac and really, this song is incredible and it won't get the attention it deserves given Meg Mac is really only known by people in Australia. Lyrically very moving and resonant, "Give Me My Name Back" is definitely a song that I will be returning to.

Rating: 9/10

Best song of the week is Meg Mac's "Give Me My Name Back"...only just though. I just think Meg nails the nuance of a poweful female statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment