Sunday 14 May 2017

New Music Friday Review: Miley Cyrus, Calvin Harris, Logic

So we actually got a pretty low key New Music Friday this week with the biggest releases worldwide being the new singles for Miley Cyrus and Calvin Harris plus some fantastic new music from Dan Sultan which I will get to in a little while

Song: Malibu
Artist: Miley Cyrus



I have to be honest I cringed when I learned Miley Cyrus was releasing new music mainly because of the direction she had gone in with this overtly sexual nonsense and outrageous antics that made people either love her or just flat out hate her, there was no middle ground with Miley!

Well, like it or not, Miley is back with a folky pop song called "Malibu" and yeah, the lyrics are a bit clunky in parts but I really like this, its a cute love song to her fiance Liam Hemsworth with a lovely sentiment and REAL GUITARS!. If this is the direction that Miley is headed in, I'm all ears.

Rating: 7/10. I like it. I can't help it.


Song: Rollin'
Artist(s): Calvin Harris featuring Future and Khalid





Calvin Harris has announced that he is dropping his new album on June 30th which is expected to feature the likes of Katy Perry (there's talk of a 'revenge' song aimed at Taylor Swift which I think is kind of childish) and Rollin' is the latest song and I have to say its probably the worst of the three that Harris has released so far this year.
The buzzing weird noise really does drive me a little crazy and to a certain extent makes me want to turn the track off. I can barely understand what Future is singing either. Gah. Just pass.

Rating: 4/10


Song: 1-800-273-8255
Artist(s): Logic, Alessia Cara, Khalid




I'll be honest I am not sure I am the right person to review this song given what this song is about and it does kind of strike a chord with me having a family member battling mental health issues.

The title is the number of the American Suicide Prevention line and according to Logic (via Genius website. Look it up if you want the lyrics to your favourite song) the song is about somebody who is thinking of committing suicide and talks to the National Suicide Prevention Line and realizes that he actually wants to live after all.

Alessia Cara and Khalid play their roles very well and sound fantastic. Cara's vocal on the song is impressive.

So yeah, its up to you and what you think of it on this one because I don't think I can give this one any kind of rating due to the subject matter because I think Logic has some guts to go there and address this.

Rating: Listen to the song/10


Song: Whatever It Takes
Artist: Imagine Dragons





Oh boy, the Imagine Dragons enter the world of rap in the verses for this one and I am not sure it works. Also is it just me but "Whatever It takes" sounds as close to a Coldplay song in the chorus?.

The song's sentiment is alright, its about being the best at whatever it is you do and knocking down barriers in the way to get there. I think Imagine Dragons fans will like this but as a casual listener, its probably likely to be forgotten about.

Rating: 4/10


Song: Right Now
Artist: HAIM




If ever there was a case where I preferred the live version, its here. This doesn't work for me whatsoever. Sparse piano and synths, drums finally kick in at the end. I think I'll be sticking to "Want You Back". Sorry.

Rating: 5/10


Song: Hold It Together
Artist: Dan Sultan



Ahh yes, Dan Sultan follows up "Magnetic" with "Hold It Together" from his forthcoming new album and man, I am looking forward to that album every time I hear either "Magnetic" or this song. because this is just another piece of funk and soul that goes straight to your heart, its a terrific song.

Rating: 9/10

Best of the week: Dan Sultan is running away with this for "Hold it Together"

Worst of the week: Imagine Dragons for sounding a little too close to Coldplay in "Whatever it Takes"

What to expect next week: 
"Strip that Down" by Liam Payne featuring Quavo
"The Way I Are" by Bebe Rexha feat. Lil Wayne
(As if we need anymore Quavo or Lil Wayne on the charts)
"Bad Liar" by Selena Gomez
"Switch" by Iggy Azalea feat. Anitta

There may be more on the way that aren't known about. See you all again soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment