Saturday 30 April 2022

Lookin' Fine '89. 30th April Compulsory Hero Only Wanna Sleep in Shame

 Ahh...the battle for number one rages on as the rest of the chart watches in bewilderment, we've got a fair bit to discuss this week so let's get on with the top ten because re taking the top spot is "Like A Prayer" by Madonna, the question is whether or not it can get a decent margin on sales and keep the number one spot next week.

Right behind it is "She Drives Me Crazy" by Fine Young Cannibals down to number two but it's still holding it's ground and could return to number one again next week such is the competition. 

Remaining an interested spectator is "The Living years" by Mike + The Mechanics stuck at number three, it's just biding it's time now and could make a play for number one soon. Not sure if that;s the case for "I'm On My Way" by The Proclaimers which remains at number four, I feel like this has peaked somehow but we'll see.

But it also means "Stop" by Sam Brown is now a threat to move higher as it rose one place to number five and I am really not that mad about this song's climb this week only because rising six places to number six is the atrocious "Ring My Bell" by Collette....geezus, Australia.

All this meant "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers slumped two places to number seven as it fadess out naturally which could be good news for "Lost In Your Eyes" by Debbie Gibson which moved up two places to number eight. 


One Summer" by Daryl Braithwaite fell back one to number nine while in news that made me smile, "Chained To The Wheel" by The Black Sorrows rose place to join the top ten and I am so happy to see it here.


Gains

The Bangles "Eternal Flame" continues to burn up the charts this week up six to number 12...this is heading for the top ten, guys.

What is interesting is the gains in the twenties especially for "Twist In My Sobriety" by Tanita Tikaram which rose seven places to 23...honestly while I am still not a fan, I find it a interesting song and "Young Years" by Dragon rising off it's debut of 39 to 24 this week which is excllent.

Also excllent is the nine place gain for "Veronica" by Elvis Costello to 28...another pretty good song getting a decent gain is nice to see. Heck, I'll also take the twenty place gain to 30 for Paula Abdul's "Straight Up"/

Not sure how I feel about "Fire Woman" going up seven to 31 for The Cult though.


Gains

Looks we're tossing some junk...or at least the junk is on the way out, a nice example of that is Will to Power's "Baby I Love Your Way - Free Bird" which got dumped ten places to 50...good, it also took "Kiss" by Art Of Noise feat Tom Jones which plummeted from 28 to 49.

I am disappointed "Real Gone Kid" by Deacon Blue never really caught on as it slipped from 32 to 48 while "If I Could" by 1927 slimped from 31 to 45.

"What I Am" by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians skidded from 35 to 42 while Melissa Etheridge's "Like The Way I Do" fell from 33 to 41.

Also on it's way to sailing away out of the top 50 is "Orinoco Flow" which collapsed from 22 to 40...thank god...it's safe on the year end though.

The increasingly twee "Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart" by Marc Almond and Gene Pitney which slipped nine to 33 and the garbage "Where Did I Go Wrong" by UB40 slimped six to 29. 

Entries

44. "My Prerogative" by Bobby Brown

So this is the second single from Bobby Brown, taken from his second studio album "Don't Be Cruel" and was writtten after people openly criticised his decision to leave popular American R'n'B boyband New Edition and how it was about not caring what anyone else thinks of his decisions and making tough decisions regardless of what others think. The song is definitely one of the most catchy to hit the chart but Bobby comes across as a bit whiny rather than the strident and forceful if he is trying to defend himself against people talking smack about him. I don't precisely hate this but I don't love it either...which is weird to say the least.


39. "Cry In Shame" by Johnny Diesel & The Injectors

Ahh some good old Aussie pop/rock courtesy of the third single from Johnny Diesel & The Injectors debut album and yeah I love this kind of pop/rock song where Johnny Diesel is just getting blunt about fighting with this significant other and when everything is said and done the partner left crying in shame at what they've lost as a result of the fighting. The lyrics are a bit lame but they are catchy and that sax solo is awesome, I'm taking this!

35. "How'm I Gonna Sleep" by Tim Finn

So bit of a confession...for as much as I am a fan of Split Enz, it's Neil Finn's side of Split Enz that I find myself going back to just that bit more...for as much as Tim is really good so I was curious about this song being the lead single from Tim's self titled third studio album and yeah, it's a smooth pop/rock power ballad with Tim wondering how he is going to get to sleep without this girl around and how he'd rather not be lonely. It's actually a really smooth song even if that breakdown in the middle eight doesn't serve the song all that well with the backing vocals....I'll take it.

34. "Compulsory Hero" by 1927

Alright let's move onto what is the fourth single from 1927 and is an interesting move away from the sound of their previous singles with this one taking more lead from the piano whichmakes sense when you realize the lyrics are taking about a dad's experiences of fighting in the Vietnam War and if you know your history than you'd know that Australian men were conscripted to fight in Vietnam and you had to have a pretty damn excuse to get out of it hence the title "Compulsroy Hero" and this man's family saying "Go and fight in the war but whatever you do please just try to come home and for me that sentiment makes the song hit home a far bit effectively. Good song.


32. "I Only Wanna Be With You" by Samantha Fox

Sigh...I knew there'd come a point where I'd have to talk about British model and singer Samantha Fox, she had a hit earlier in the eighties with the pretty mediocre to awful "Touch Me (I wanna Feel Your body)" and now we get a cover of Dusty Springfield's "I Only Want to Be With You". so with much trepidation I checked the song out and holy shit, who borrowed the synths from fucking Pseudo Echo and made a sweet Dusty Springfield song into a raging headache inducing nightmare where the song's main melody songs like it's being played by god damn Alvin and the Chipmunks and when Samantha Fox sounds like she is punching time on the track...that says it all.

It's easily the worst of the week this week because nothing else sinks to that level of awful.

I'm going to give best of the week to "Compulsory Hero" by 1927 for being such a dark song and it's brave to release a song like that in 1989/






No comments:

Post a Comment