So let's dive into this week starting with the top ten because nothing changed with our top three. "Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam remains at number one ahead of "If You Had My Love" by Jennifer Lopez at number two and "Boom Boom Boom Boom" by Vengaboys at number three.
Five's new song "If Ya Gettin' Down" enters at number four. More about the quality or the lack there of letter but it did havw the impact of pushing "Sometimes" by Britney Spears back to number five.
The rise of "When You Say Nothing At All" by Ronan Keating continues as it umped one spot to number six that said it likely benefited from the two spot slide for "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer to number seven.
Also sliding two slots was "Man! I Feel LIke A Woman!" by Shania Twain to number eight while "Sweet Like Chocolate" by Shanks & Bigfoot remains at number nine.
Finishing up our top ten for this week is "Say It Once" by Ultra which slipped two to number ten.
Losers
Turns out the public have had enough of Soul Searcher's "I Can't Get Enough" which is down ten slots to forty nine. They are also flying away from Lenny Kravitz with "Fly Away" down six to forty eight.
"Saltwater" by Chicane feat. Maire Brennan slumped from thirty six to forty two while "Get Ready" by Ma$e feat. Blackstreet stumbled from thirty five to forty one.
I am very happy the two NKOTB alumni solo songs fell this week with Jordan Knight's "Give It To You" down seven to forty and "Stay the Same" by Joey McIntyre down seven to thirty eight.
The tribute to ABBA "Tbank ABBA For the Music" by Steps (more on them in the new entries), Cleopatra, Tina Cousins, B*Witched and Billie slipped ten to thirty nine as it heads toward the chart exit.
"Why Don't You Get a Job?" by The Offspring slid nine to tthirty seven while "Look at Me" by Geri Halliwell fell six to thirty six. "These Are the Times" by Dru Hill fell ten to thirty three (why is this song still on the chart? It's garbage)/.
Gains
Our gains are a mixed blessing indeed this week with "Shimmer" by Fuel riding its way up from twenty three to sixteen, "Have A Look" by Vanessa Amorosi rising from twenty one to seventeen and "Weir" by Killing Heidi having the biggest gain of the week rising twelve to twenty six.
However we also saw "I Don't Want to Wait" by Paula Cole up from thirty four tto twenty nine and "The Hardest Thing" by 98 Degrees up six to thirty one...sigh...can we not make either song a hit please?
Re-Entries
So bit of a weird one this week with Chris Isaak's "Baby Did A Bad Bad Thing" returning to the chart at number thirty five. It originally debuted on the chart in October 1995 peaking at number thirty three in November of that year although apparently the reason this song is back is because of a remix. It's just weird as I really do not care for this song at all.
New Entries
Five new entries this week beginning with...
50. "I Won't Let You Down" by Kate Cebrano
So we're starting this week with Kate Ceberano's cover of English group Ph.d's 1982 hit and she's turned this song into a spacey sounding pop rock song where I have to ask who did the vocal production on this because Kate doesn't sound that good here, her voice sounds almost buried by the noise that's trying and failing to add more weight and layers to a song that kind of doesn't need it given the subject matter where the narrator is begging for a second chance from their beloved and vowing that they won't let their darling down again. I think I'll pass on this one.
44. "She's So High" by Tal Bachman
- Okay so this week's chart debutant is a Canadian singer songwriter Tal Bachman whose father happened to be in 70s band Bachman Turner Overdrive. Bachman described this song as having taken inspiration from Sheryl Crow's "If It Makes You Happy" and is apparently about the time Bachman tried to get the hottest girl in his school to date his stepbrother but wound up in complete awe of her himself. Just a shame that the thing that bothers me about this song is Bachman himself where he sounds like he is having a wrench tightened on his balls on the hook, its actually tough to listen to.
Throw in the random reference to Joan of Arc who burned at the stake and it's a strange ass thing to be in awe of this girl yet compare her to a woman who burned at the stake...come on, we can do better. Next!
30. "Love's Got a Hold of My Heart" by Steps
So I liked "Heartbeat" from Steps so I was curious what they would offer with this latest single and wow, this feels very much like it was set for a musical theatre stage especially with the way Claire and Faye's are embracing the vocal gymnastics here and even if I am not a fan of the whispered adlibs Lisa provides (tad creepy) but it doesn't take away from the song overall especially as the song builds into that incredibly dramatic chorus that does give off a woman flinging her forearm to her head and gasping "Love has this brutal hold on my heart!" It's a cute Pete Waterman co produced song...check it out.
22. "When I Grow Up" by Garbage
Always fun to have a new Garbage song on the chart and this one is no exception, it comes from their album "Version 2.0" and well this may as well be an alt rock anthem for those people out there who feel misunderstood by the rest of society but are seeking to gain control of their life and live it on their terms ignoring the judgements of others who try to do to the contrary, Shirley Manson is also very adept at selling this message because my god does she command the attention on this song, she's got this tone that makes this song work, she's the one in control of her...nobody else. This is definitely worth a listen...good song, shame I can't say the same for...
4. "If Ya Gettin' Down" by Five
I mean...if we're going to give Five the highest charting new song of the week, it couldn't have been for something that's better than a brag anthem where every line of the hook ends in the word 'baby' all before J raps about refreshing your mind that boys are bring the funk back to town, well I'd say they were bringing the funk back if it weren't for the god damn piercing whistle on the hook, the amateurish brag rapping from J smf ABS (who opens his verse wtth "wiggy wiggy, I'm getting jiggy". Seriously? Who on earth is impressed by the rhyming here? Also telling us he only has 12 seconds left on his verse, nobody asked, dude.)
The most I can praise here is the bass groove which actually unlike the rest of this mess has an appeal and under anything that's better that god awful rapping and that piercing whistle that would drive cars into dirches, there'd be some appeal but no, this song can get in the fucking bin.
Yeah, easy worst of the week for "If Ya Gettin' Down" by Five, I never want to hear that song again. Best of the week is going to Garbage for "When I Grow Up", it's just got more connectivity for me than "Love's Got a Hold on My Heart" by Steps/
No comments:
Post a Comment